Arts Education includes four separate and distinct disciplines: dance, music, theatre arts, and visual arts - each with its own body of knowledge and skills.
Arts education benefits both student and society, because students of the arts disciplines gain powerful tools for:
- understanding human experiences, both past and present;
- teamwork and collaboration;
- making decisions creatively and solving problems, when no prescribed answers exist;
- adapting to and respecting others' diverse ways of thinking, working, and expressing themselves;
- understanding the influence of the arts and their power to create and reflect cultures;
- analyzing nonverbal communication, and making informed judgments about products and issues; and,
- communicating effectively.
Students at the high school level will have the option of studying an individual arts discipline as an area of interest, or specializing or completing a concentration in studies to prepare them for further education and/or a career in the arts.