Applying to college:
CFNC can be used to apply to any community college in NC and many other colleges/universities.
Common App is used to apply to many colleges in NC such as NC State, UNCW, or UNC CH and other colleges across the US.
Below is the full set of Common App essay prompts for 2021-2022.
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you've already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
Colleges and Scholarship programs often ask students to sumbit a resume as part of the application process or to apply for a scholarship.
Below you will find a resume tips for college applications or scholarship applications.
Click here for resume tips
Colleges or Scholarship Committes often ask students to submit an essay as part of the application process or to apply for a scholarship.
Click here for Essay Tips
Colleges and Scholarship programs often ask for letters of recommendation from your teachers, coaches, or principal. PLEASE do not wait until the last minute to ask for these reccommendations. Ask early so that the person you have asked to write your letter of reccommendation has ample time to complete it.
o ASK EARLY! At least 2 weeks in advance. Teachers are BUSY and need time to prepare your letter. Write down what you want. For example - the college you want it written to or the name of the scholarship you are applying for. Explain what you want on paper.
o Give the recommender a resume, so they can remember all the GREAT things about you throughout your 4 years of high school.
o Along with the recommendation form, give the recommender a STAMPED envelope with the address written on it so the recommender can mail it when they have it complete. (If you want the recommender to hand it back to you because you are submitting all documents in one large envelope, still give them an envelope.
o If you do not have a recommendation form and you are asking the recommender to type a letter about you, give the recommender a STAMPED envelope with the address written on it so the recommender can mail it when they have it complete. (If you want the recommender to hand it back to you because you are submitting all documents in one large envelope, still give them an envelope.