Charles E. Perry's Heritage
Established January 3, 2012
Charles E. Perry School History
By: Willa Warren
In 1955, a new building was erected for high school students in the Roseboro district. The new school was located behind the old union school in Roseboro.The school was named Charles E. Perry in honor of its principal since 1935.This new school originally did not have a cafeteria, and the high school students had to return to Roseboro School for lunch with the grades one through eight. A primary building and cafeteria were added to Charles E. Perry in 1957. This addition moved grades one through five to Charles E. Perry and left grades six through eight in the old school. Grades six through eight then came to Charles E. Perry for lunch each day.
Mr. Calvin Johnson became principal of Charles E. Perry in 1963. He remained as principal until 1969. In the fall of 1969, Mr. Thomas A. Hood became principal of Charles E. Perry Middle School. The school reorganization was brought about at the same time as the schools in Sampson County were integrated.
In 1975, Charles E. Perry School became an elementary school containing kindergarten through fifth grade. Mr. Hood remained the principal until 1981. Then, Mr. John A. Blanton became principal until 1984. Following Mr. Blanton, Mr. Alfonza H. Williamson became principal and remained until 1992. Pamela B. Westbrook followed Mr. Williamson and was principal from fall of 1992 until 1997. In 1997, O. C. Holland became principal and remained until 2001. Peggy Carter followed Mr. Holland and served as principal until 2005. Timothy Lee succeeded Mrs. Carter and served as Charles E. Perry’s principal until 2008. Donald Boykin succeeded Mr. Lee and served until 2012.
In January 2012 Roseboro Elementary was established. Mr. Boykin served as principal the remaining of 2012 year. In the fall of 2012 year, Tonya Colwell was appointed to serve as principal of the new Roseboro Elementary School located at 180 Butler Island Road.